Sunday 23 October 2011

Question One and Two.


Question One: Identify Favourite Works, Photography Brief.


‘The best things in life are those that are free.’
The purpose of documenting Karl Thomann, my grandfather through a series of photographic images was to portray how with age, our view of what is important in life changes. I decided to capture the everyday aspects of Karl’s life, something that was rarely captured in our private family photo collection. The photographs became about depicting the simple pleasures he found in his life, such as sitting down to have a cup of tea or tending to his orchid flowers. The photographs were also taken, so that they could be used as keepsakes for my family to enjoy not just in this generation, but in generations to come. It is through the use of documentary style photography, that the viewer can see how Karl lives a simple and fulfilling life.









This project started in a documentary style in which I took random photo's of my grandfather going about him daily life, making a cup of tea, putting washing on the line. From taking these photograph's I realised I also wanted photograph's that had meaning behind them. As I spent more time with my grandfather, he started to open up about his life, something that he does not usually do as he is a very private person. He told me about the simple pleasures he enjoyed in his life, like his gardening and his passion for growing Orchids. It was then that I started to photograph these special things, which made this project especially enjoyable for me.

Question Two: Written research, Blog site.
What is Documentary Photography?

Documentary Photographers are our eyewitnesses with their observations of the world and its people. They use their knowledge, skills and trained eye to see the hidden messages in our societies and captures the moments of time for all of us to see, now and in the future.
[1]


Karin Becker Orn, Professor at University College of Arts, Crafts and Design in Stockholm, Sweden: ’ The cluster of characteristics defining the documentary style incorporates all aspects of the making and use of photographs. Although not rigid, these characteristics serve as referents for comparing photographers work within... the documentary tradition – a tradition that includes aspects of journalism, art, education, sociology and history. Primarily, documentary was thought of as having a goal beyond the production of fine art. The photographer’s goal was to bring the attention of an audience to the subject of his or her work and, in many cases, to pave the way for social change.’[2]


It was important for me to understand what documentary photography was, the final photograph’s for my series, I needed to know, that they showed the viewer of picture of person’s life. Through the understanding of documentary photography I came to understand that it also meant that the photograph’s needed to demonstrate some type of message. In my photography series featuring my grandfather, Karl Thomann this was that the best pleasures in life are ones that are free. This statement then became a very fitting title for the series.
                                                                                                                                              


[1] BlogSpot, What Is Documentary Photography, 2011.
http://thoughtsondocumentaryphotography.blogspot.com/2009/04/what-is-documentary-photography.html


[2] Orn, Karin. Thoughts on documentary photography, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment